Sunday, April 8, 2012

Other ballparks this spring

Since, I decided to start writing about the parks a little bit later in the spring than I started going to them here is a little review of were I have been so far this spring. My entire schedule is at http://malamut.net/myschedule2011.html

Started out the year at the Bradley Center for the Rockford Ice Hogs vs the Milwaukee Admirals hockey game  on January 14th. The arena wasn't that bad, the parking garage being right next door to it. They did a nice job of bringing their nickname into the stadium, with how some things were just for the hockey games. Plus the part in the upper deck that was a ship was kool. Plus it was bobblehead night.


After that game, was a trip to Rockford to visit some friends and see a Rockford Ice Hogs game. They are the Chicago Blackhawks affiliate in the American Hockey League, I am a huge Hawks fans. Saw them on Febrauary 11th.

It is held at the Rockford Metro Centre. It was another bobblehead night, just my luck, plus thanfully my friend who has season tickets. Got me a ticket ahead of time because the whole place was sold out. It was a good show though, I will say that much.  The Chicago Wolves were in town, they are the Vancouver Canucks affiliate in the league.

The next day I went from Rockford to Moline, Illinois. It was a Sunday and I was off so I got to go and travel to another hockey game. This time seeing the Quad City Mallards at the I Wireless Center in Moline. They are in a lower minor league than the other ones i've seen, and are independent any NHL team.The Arizona Sun Dogs were in town for the game.

The arena is right on the river with pretty good parking. You can see the action from three sides, as behind one of the nets is blocked off. The game was pretty good, the logo is one of the best that i've seen.



After that I went up to Michigan to see some family and took my uncle to his first hockey game since before I was born. We went to see the Junior level Saginaw Spirit. It was a fun game with a lot of fights, and having to explain what was going on in the game.

Finally the first ball game of the year was at Judson University on March 17th. against Illinois Technical University. Again two years in a row I lead off the season at Judson. The diffrence is this year they actually put in solid metal bleachers, instead of stands that were put into the ground like rocks on the side of a hill. They also upgraded the field.

The first actual trip of the year was the next weekend. It was great, to get away for two days. I started out going to the ball game down at Illinois Weslyan University in Bloomington, Illinois. I really liked the ball park. It didn't have that many seats, maybe six rows of staduim seats. Plus the whole fan part was at a big incline. The bricks on the backstop were nice. It was their home opener. There is no parking around the field though, as I had to park in the street behind the outfield fence.


After that game I went to the hotel, and then had tickets to go and see the Peoria Rivermen play some hockey. The Peoria Civic Center is right downtown, down just north of O'Brien Field, there is a nice parking garage across the street. This place is huge as there is a convention hall, which had an outdoors type fest that weekend. The game itself was the Milwaukee Admirals vs the Peoria Rivermen. The place is also home to the Bradley University basketball teams, as they have retired numbers for both Bradley and the Rivermen on the walls. It is a long way up to the nose bleed seats though, eventhough there really wasn't many people there. It was alumi night as they had a pre game alumni game. It was a seperate ticket to that event so I didn't go.


The best part of the whole day was in between periods they had the #29 Kevin Harvick chevey on the ice. I lost my pa a couple of months before and that was his favorite number and driver. I like him because his car used to be the #3.


The next day it was off to see Illinois State University play some baseball in Bloomington, Illinois. With a stop at the ice arena in Bloomington to look around.

Duffy Bass field is in the middle of the sports complex with the basketball, soccer, softball and football fields all around. The parking is ok, as there is a big lot over by the softball field. The games are free, programs are 2.00 and media guides are 5.00. The stadium is ok. it looks like a division 1 baseball field should, or even like some of the minor league parks should look like. With a lawn and stadium seats. They have one small concession stand.



Next on the list is a trip to division 3 baseball. Aurora University is a small school thankfully not far from home. It is on the west side of the river, while the park they play in is on the east side. In a little residential neighborhood. It isn't that much fun to find, they do have good parking. Eventhough since it was closer to home I rode the bike. It was only 17 miles for me. There is nothing close to there to eat though, as I got there early and had to ride into town, and then just settle for snacks at a local gas station, as lunch. The field has little portable stands, and is in a community park. The do have lights though. Unfortunatly I blew a tire coming home and had to call for a ride home.

While the bike was in the shop the next day was a trip down to the University of Illinois in Champaign. The Fighting Illini. The park is west of campus and the parking is a grass field. The park itself is pretty nice with benches for seats. They have a small concession area. Programs are 1.00 and media guides are 5.00.





that should do it, you should be caught up for the year so far, still have many more places on the schedule to go to. Plus a ton more that I would love to go to. I have only been to 9 college parks. 8 hockey areans, 42 minor league parks and 6 major league parks. So there is a ton more to explore.


No comments:

Post a Comment